



2014 Board of Directors Meeting

March 21, 2014

10:00 a.m.

Teleconference call 928-554-8998 (there is no ID or password)

AGENDA

**Arizona Section, SRM
2014/15 Officers**

Willie Sommers

President

Mary Nichols

President-Elect

Chris Thiel

Vice President

Shai Schendel,

Kelsey Hawkes

Directors- North

John Hall,

Steve Barker

Directors-South

Ashley Shepherd

Secretary-Treasurer

Matthew Kilford

ASU Chapter President

Alanna Riggs

U of A Chapter President

Mike Hemovich

Past President

Also Present:

James Holden

*Public Relations,
Recreation and Outreach
Committee Chair*

Doug Tolleson

Past-Past President

1. Welcome/Call to Order (Willie) call to order 10:15am

2. Update from Doug Tolleson on Arizona Highways photo workshop

Doug: I got the agenda this morning before I walked in to set up the call. The first two days of the conference and then a field trip. There will be 4 speaker spots held open in the agenda held for SRM and for who we want to hear speak. We can discuss the speakers via email. There will be a full day of presentations on Thursday, Friday will be a field tour to restoration areas, and Saturday will be the photography workshop. The workshop will be from 8-5 with Arizona Highways. The registration will go out in the Rimrock Report and I will follow that up with an email blast to SRM. As details become available I will send out more information. The limit is 50 but if more people sign up we could add an instructor or make a second class. Any questions?

Mike: Regarding the 4 slots for SRM speakers, would you say there is presently any over arching theme to the meeting?

Doug: Yes, it will focus on White Mountain forest restoration. Speakers include; Steve Campbell from Cooperative Extension, Bruce Greco from NAU, Mike Crimmins from UA, Jennifer Hill Lincoln NF, and Todd Schulke from Southwest Center for Biological Diversity. Willie I can email you the agenda.

Willie: That sounds like a good opportunity to have a say in the program and a direction we can go well with speakers of our choice.

Doug: A rancher or 2 would be a good contribution for us.

Steve: Who is sponsoring this, is it extension?

Doug: It is extension. I was at a workshop in Show Low, Steve Campbell and I were talking about this and he said he thought I would be interested in taking part. He also mentioned the possibility of maybe we should explore the possibility of tag teaming the meeting

Willie: The photography workshop fee is \$125?

Doug: Yes

Willie: Any other questions for Doug? Ok thanks Doug I will look for an email with the agenda.

3. Approval of the 1/10/14 Winter Meeting Minutes (Willie)

Montion to approve by Chris

Kesley seconds

Minutes approved

4. Financial Report (Willie)

Willie: I met with Ernie in late January he gave me 2 boxes of files. Mike was able to get some of the old board member's removed from the bank account. Yesterday Mike and I met at a Chase bank in Phoenix and we added me as a signer to the account and Mike was removed. At present I'm the current signer for the Chase bank accounts. I will be working to add Ashley and Chris as signers to the account. Following this meeting it will likely be Mary added as well. There is a remote way to add people. Ashley and Chris did you get my email??

Ashley: Yes

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



Chris: Yes

Willie: Ok and we could follow up from there. You could photocopy and mail your ID to me that way I can add you as signers. I have the current account balances as of yesterday; in our first checking account we have \$9,058.84, in the second account \$17,062.20, and the savings has \$6,487.29. I am sending a check to UA student chapter \$2,400 towards the trip to the national SRM meeting. I am also sending a check to Doug today for \$500 which is the contribution to the Arizona Highways photography workshop. Another purchase I will be making is the range manager of the year sign, but I need to speak with Jamie about that. Does anyone have any questions?

Mike: What about ASU student check?

Willie: Ernie took care of that before left to Oregon. The frame photos that we provided to Dave Stewart and Don Luhsren at the Tucson meeting were also taken care of. As was mentioned in the newsletter Ashley has agreed to expand her role as treasurer and secretary. I will clean up the paperwork before I hand it over to you.

Ashley: Thank you

Steve: What is the difference between the checking accounts? Is one of those the NRCWAY accounts?

Willie: I don't know

Kelsey: That is something I would like to figure out as well. I thought that the auction money was split between the section and NRCWAY but then I was also told that it only went to NRCWAY. I need to figure out where the money is going

Willie: I thought half went to NRCWAY and half to the section. Mike is that correct?

Mike: Yes, that is what we have done into the past.

Steve: The board could also vote on that

Kelsey: Does anyone have an opinion about that?

Steve: I'm happy to keep splitting between NRCWAY and section.

Mike: We could keep voting every year. A couple of years in a row the money went to the section only because we were low on funds. Then at some point we decided to start splitting it in half, but it could be a good idea to review what to do with the money on a yearly basis.

Chris: I think it's a good idea to review, but for this year splitting seems like a good idea.

Willie: Any other comments?

Steve: You said you were going to send a check to UA for the photography workshop did you get approval of that from the board?

Willie: Do I have a motion?

Steve: Or do we want to get until we get to the summer meeting discussion to talk about it. Did you get any responses from my email I sent out?

Kelsey: Will the SRM have their name on the workshop?

Willie: I think Doug knows the answer to that at this point.

Steve: It sounds like it's already been set up as an extension workshop.

Chris: But they are leaving spaces for us to have speakers it seems like they want us to be cosponsors.

Willie: Maybe we can revisit this later.

5. New Business:

- **Recruiting new President-Elect**

Willie: Steve Barker spoke with Mary Nichols recently about our vacant President-Elect position. We were informed by email that Mary has expressed interest and is willing to serve/take over the position for the section. I checked in our bi-laws and there is a section about vacancy and it says "vacancies can be filled by a member with a majority vote for the BOD" Mary you are a member of the AZ Section?

Mary: I am.

Willie: and you are willing to serve as President-Elect for the remainder of the term?

Mary: I am.

Willie: Great, Mary thank you for coming forward. Do I have a motion that we elect Mary?

Steve: I move elect Mary.

Chris: I second.

Willie: Motion carries forward. Congrats and thank you very much Mary.

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



- **S. Clark Martin Scholarship (tie between two UA students)**

Willie: Mitch sent an email to me, the scholarship is designed to go to the person that places highest and this year we had a tie for 8th place in URME. The problem Mitch is having is how to recognize both of the students. Does the section was to split the award between the two of them or give each \$350?

Steve: Where does the money come from every year? Is it funds that UA has set aside or section funds?

Mike: It comes from the section.

Steve: I move we approve \$350 each.

Willie: Is there a second

Mike: I second

Willie: Motion passes to give \$350 to each student. I will let Mitch know our decision. I will take care of funds as acting treasurer.

- **Spring ranch tour (Steve Barker/Kelsey Hawkes)**

Willie: A week from Saturday, Steve Barker has taken the lead on hosting a workshop. This is a concept we talked about at the last BOD meeting. Have directors north and south put on a workshop or informal tour.

Steve, do you want to comment?

Steve: When I was a student at ASU this is the ranch we went to every year. He has 30 years of monitoring data which is really interesting to look at. He has also been involved in selecting livestock with high forage use efficiency so he will talk about animal selection. In the afternoon I thought it'd be fun to go out and look at ESDs and plant ID for those not familiar with that area. My only issue is until I heard from Mike today, I haven't gotten an RSVP from anyone else.

Willie: I will be attending.

Steve: Maybe we can send out another email blast?

Ashley: I can put something on Facebook again.

Steve: I emailed ASU students but got no response.

Willie: Email Eddie Alford, he might be a better contact.

Kelsey: I will be there as well. Are you going to send out another section email?

Steve: Yes, I will.

Alayna: UA student chapter will be there I will get a number of students and RSVP.

Willie: I can send an email to the Arizona Cattle Growers. I will send something to Anna Aha and copy Dan Bell as well. James in forms of outreach do you know anyone you can send it to?

James: Not that I know of. I can let people in my office know about it.

Mike: Willie, you are close with NRCD, could we send it to them?

Willie: I can send it to Amber who works with NRCD. Some of the people on the Tonto and up in Payson may want to attend. We may get a couple of folks from the Soil and Water Conservation society.

Steve: East Maricopa was going to put it up on their boards too.

Willie: We will get the word out via those channels and hopefully we will get a good turnout. Lunch is on your own?

Steve: Yes

Willie: I know those ranch roads can be ruggid is the field stuff going to be in the lower desert pasture?

Steve: Yes, the morning will be at the barn and the afternoon plant ID along the main road.

- **Summer meeting**

Willie: We have the dates and the UA program that we are going to use. This opportunity kind of fell into our laps because we are in contact with Doug. It was a good opportunity at the time especially because we didn't have a person to spearhead organizing a meeting. It will be a little less planning on our part and it will be a good location in Arizona during the summer. I am looking at the agenda that Doug sent me and I will forward it to all of you. There are some blanks in the schedule for us. We need to still provide a camping hub and dinners for our membership.

Steve: Hopefully all of you got my email. I didn't get a response. I think SRM should try to put on our own meetings. Now that we have Mary we could give her the opportunity to put a together a meeting. I don't want it to turn into people only going to extension workshops and not being members of our section.

Willie: I'd like to hear from anyone else. We are at a cross roads where we have an opportunity for a summer meeting that is mostly set up for us.

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



Mike: I've watched this coming summer meeting evolve. We were in a position that we didn't have a President-Elect whose function it is to put on a meeting. I agree with Steve we ought to be utilizing members of our section to put on the meetings as much as possible. I don't have any problems with bringing people in from the outside the state, but that can be costly. The cost of the photography workshop is an issue but that is something on a separate day. Unless Mary has something in mind I think at this time we could go with this workshop whose planning is already underway.

Mary: I'm getting up to speed on trying to figure out where the planning of the summer meeting is. As far as the summer meeting I don't have a strong thought on breaking the momentum for any specific reason. I know other people on the call have been more involved than I have. I see the winter meeting as a huge opportunity as a time to contribute to a SRM specific meeting.

Willie: I'd like to hear from everyone else.

Chris: Listening to the conversation, best case scenario would be for us to put on our own meeting but at this point I don't know if Mary will have time to set it up. I know if it were me I wouldn't be able to organize it this late. One of the things that came to mind is talking about the monitoring post fire. I'm in favor with going into this with UA extension just because of our unusual situation this year.

Kelsey: I don't have too much to add I agree with both sides. I'm impartial.

Ashley: Unless Mary thinks she has time to organize a meeting by August I think we should go with the UA program.

Mary: If we want to do our own meeting I need to get a better estimate in how much time would be involved. Before this call I wasn't sure how far along the meeting planning was going so far.

Willie: John what do you think?

John: In the future doing our own meeting, the ball is already rolling with the extension program there is no reason to stop it.

Alyana: As John said the ball is rolling. In the future having our own meeting would be ideal.

Willie: The last meeting it was split 50/50 UA and SRM. I had some people say they could only go to one day so they chose UA animal nutrition workshop. I know that was a problem. The 2 day forest restoration workshop is \$30-40 at this point. The photo workshop is \$125. We need to plan for camping and meals. When it comes to the winter meeting, now we will have plenty of time to put together a top notch. We had talked about doing an overview of grazing systems. As President-Elect you get to lead the winter meeting and put together a committee that will help you get lined out.

Mary: I like to make it a point to have the winter meeting be SRM specific meeting.

Steve: The topic is your choice; there was a lot of interest in grazing systems

Mary: I will continue to think about that. Grazing is not my area of expertise but I will keep it open for discussion.

Chris: We could talk about grazing effects on watershed.

Willie: Any other comments for the summer meeting.

Steve: We usually charge registration for the summer meeting then use those funds, but extension is going to charge \$30-40? Are we charging our own registration? Does the section get any money from registration the UA is collecting?

Willie: Those are details we need to work out.

Steve: If we are giving \$500 our logo should be on there, and either we keep our registration from our members or we split the registration 50/50 if it's really going to be a joint workshop

Kelsey: I agree.

Steve: Otherwise we are just paying to attend an extension workshop.

Willie: I will talk to Doug about this so we can reach an agreement

Steve: Are we still going to have a general membership meeting?

Willie: Yes that's my thought. We need to iron out details of that.

- **SRM Advisory Council Meeting**

Kelsey: I want to give a recap of the advisory council meeting in Orlando. I went the first day and John Kava went of the 2nd day. I think all the decisions were made on the 2nd day when John was there. I haven't been able to get an update from him. They talked about the WHB that the Nevada section presented. There was a large die off of horses due to starvation. The Nevada section was trying to get a head start by publishing a resolution; they talked about how we need to get the science across to the public and figure out the SRM's stance of the topic. Hopefully after talking to John Kava we can get updated with what the outcome was.

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



John: That was the Nevada section that came up with that, how much of that was agency people?

Kelsey: I'm not sure but I can get the contact email.

John: I would like to see the resolution. It's such a touchy subject with DOI they are trying to stay away from that kind of thing.

Kelsey: I will send it with you.

Steve: I would also like a copy.

- **2017 Utah bid to host National Meeting in St. George**

Kelsey: The advisory council was supposed to approve the Utah section hosting the meeting in 2017 in St. George. There was the question of whether or not the AZ section wanted to cohost that meeting with the Utah section.

Mike: I saw some feedback from the advisory council and the leader of the Utah section is hopeful Arizona will join in with them. They are waiting for a response from us. I think we have to decide if we are going to do that. If you recall at our BOD meeting in NRCWAY we were asked to cosponsor a meeting in Nebraska or Alaska. I think Utah is a different matter because it is closer. It's something we would need to decide on sooner rather than later. I think some of the key players are going to be UA and ASU and if they can jump in. We would be taking an integral part in the program and Utah would set up hotels, tours, etc. But that would all have to be discussed.

Willie: I can contact the Utah section President and get an update on where things stand and for my clarification if they need our assistance and what we can do to help.

Mike: On the positive side there is an economic element. We stand a good chance to make some money out of this meeting. We would need to talk about how we would split the income. Kelsey did you hear what the attendance was at the Orlando meeting? I heard a rumor it was only 800 where before it's been up to 3000

Kelsey: I don't know. 2018 the bid was for Reno and I think that was approved and 2019 there was no bid made but there was mention in anchorage.

Mike: We need to send in the names of who should be receiving emails from the advisory council. We need to have 2 of the principle officers at the meetings. The agency folks don't have funding to send people to meetings but hopefully that will change.

Steve: mike I agree, sometimes it's a financial burden but sometimes organizations help their members attend.

Mary: It's very likely that I will be attending the meeting so I can be involved

Mike: The next meeting is in Sacramento?

Kelsey: That is correct.

- **Monitoring Book**

Steve: Lamar Smith was going to make the monitoring book available online. I emailed the board and heard no response so I told him to go ahead.

6. Board Reports

President--- Willie: I've got bad news, our tax exempt status has been revoked. We didn't file for 3 years.

There is a form we need to fill out as an organization to get the tax exempt status to get reinstated. I think I can take the lead on filling it out. Any comments?

Steve: We have been in this position before. But we need to get it done ASAP if you need help let me know.

President-Elect

Vice President

Directors North

Directors South

Treasurer

Past- President--- Mike: Ashley needs to update recipients for advisory council emails.

7. Committee Reports:

Awards

Newsletter--- Willie: John Kava isn't on the line but the March newsletter has been sent out.

Membership

Historian/Archives & Activities

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



Young Professionals--- Willie: Vanessa isn't on the line; she can help with summer meeting. I'm hoping she can help with logistics of summer meeting; meals and camping

Scholarship

Rancher Affairs--- Mike: Terry isn't on the line but we have blocked out an hour plus of Cattle Growers every year. I think it might be worthwhile to contact Terry to see if he is still willing to help with that convention in July

Native Range

Public Relations, Recreation & Outreach--- James: I'm still looking for a few people to help out with that. If you have any ideas of people to help let me know. I will be looking for sponsorship for the winter auction

Youth/NRCWAY--- Willie: Kim says flyer for the summer camp is up on the website. She sent out an email to all science teachers in the state. Jeff, Susan and her are going work on the outline. The high school youth forum was a success this year in Orlando.

Mary: Will we have a BOD meeting at the NRCWAY Camp again this year?

Willie: Yes I think so. We will probably have a teleconference in April or May.

8. Schedule next meeting

Note: we will meet at 1:00 pm on Thursday, June 26th at the NRCWAY Camp. Please plan on attending our meeting and, if possible, staying the night to watch the student presentations on Friday.

Meeting adjourned at 12:00