



**2014 Board of Directors Meeting
June 26, 2014
1:00 p.m.
NRCWAY Camp, Mingus Springs**

AGENDA

**Arizona Section, SRM
2014/15 Officers**

Willie Sommers
President

Mary Nichols
President-Elect

Chris Thiel
Vice President

**Shai Schendel,
Kelsey Hawkes**
Directors- North

**John Hall,
Steve Barker**
Directors-South

Ashley Shepherd
Secretary-Treasurer

Matthew Kilford
ASU Chapter President

Emily Pecilunas
U of A Chapter President

Mike Hemovich
Past President

John Kava
Chris Bernau
John Kava
Diana Hemovich
Susan Pater
Kim McReynolds

1. Welcome/Call to Order Willie: 1:00pm

2. Approval of the 5/8/14 Meeting Minutes

Willie: Did everyone get the minutes? I did have a few corrections that I will give to Ashley.

Steve: The only thing I saw was the spelling of Chuck's last name. It is Backus

Willie: Any other discussion.

Steve: I motion to approve.

Chris: I second.

Willie: Motion passes.

3. Financial Report

Willie: Today I am giving the treasurer files to Ashley. Let's start with account balances. These are the balances as of Friday morning. Section checking: \$10,165.34

NRCWAY checking: \$33,433.21. The money in this account is from NRCD donations, other donations, and students who come to the camp. Friday I did 1,227 a transfer to the NRCWAY from the section account from the winter meeting auction.

Kelsey: Can the NRCWAY account be used to make improvements to the camp?

Steve: Yes I think it can if it goes before the board.

Willie: I wanted to get the files organized before I gave them to Ashley so I've been going over them it costs about \$9-10,000 to run the camp. That goes towards lifeguard, cooks, t-shirts, lodging, a nurse and other miscellaneous expenses.

Steve: What do we pay for the facility for the duration?

John Kava: \$17 per camper per day and it costs about \$300 per camper. They each pay \$150.

Willie: I think Steve is asking if we rent the facility.

Susan Pater: Its \$17 per night per camper. We got a \$5000 donation to camp so we have gotten more money this year than the past.

Willie: Tony Lunt donated \$5000 this year.

Steve: We should write him a thank you letter.

Willie: I was made aware of this and now letting you all know. How should we recognize him?

John Hall: do you know who he is?

Kim McReynolds: He is a UA grad from Range Management. He owns a ranch in Graham County. He just wanted to support our camp. I've been doing range monitoring with him yearly since 1998.

Susan Pater: He recognized us devoting time to future range managers. I think writing a letter would be good.

Kim: Yes, writing a letter would be enough.

Willie: **Can you make that an action item; I will write a letter to Tony Lunt and email it to the board for approval.**

We also have a savings account with \$ 6,663.02. My understanding it is a scholarship account. For the two outstanding range students from UA and ASU, they receive a financial award each winter meeting.

Steve: Does the NRCWAY student going to national come out of this account too?

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



Willie: It comes out of the NRCWAY account. We can send up to 3 students. The saving account is the S Clark Martin account

Steve: Is the S Clark Martin and the outstanding student the same?

Willie: ASU and UA get an outstanding student from this section. The S Clark Martin is for outstanding student for URME.

Steve: How do we put money into the savings? Do we make a motion?

Willie: I do not know. It is an information gap

Doug: I think the last I put was from a raffle.

Steve: How much does the outstanding URME student get?

Willie: \$350

Kelsey: We also support the student chapters to go to the meeting does that come from checking?

Willie: Yes. As President and the board we should try and tighten up some things for the section as far as finances and getting the tax ID number lined out. That way there is consistency and an easier transfer of knowledge to the next board.

Steve: This should go into the board handbook.

Willie: Yes I want to get to that. So that is the report, I also ordered us a debit card for the section. It's in Ashley's name under AZ SRM. **I need to order new checks.** We are supposed to keep 5 years of records per our guide book. Once you have the 6th year you can transfer the information to the historian. It's got summer and winter meeting stuff and receipts, etc. For example, there is a file for 2014 NRCWAY there are some deposits, donations, student deposit checks.

Mary: At one point you asked for me to be a signer on the accounts. Does that still need to be taken care of?

Willie: Yes, are you with Chase bank?

Mary: Yes

Willie: It will be easy to set up. **I will see to it that Mary gets signed on as a signer for the bank accounts.** We have Chris, Ashley and myself as a signer and will add Mary.

Mike: For the financial stuff I think we should talk to Chris and Mary about the checking account for the winter/summer meetings. I think we found you need to have at least have \$8000 going into the winter meeting to pay for hotels. We usually don't get reimbursed by the National SRM with the money collected for registration fees until after the fact.

Kelsey: The winter meeting is also when we decide to support/sponsor student chapters it's typically \$1000, so that would take out of the account.

Willie: Yes there is a lag from when we get payments from SRM last time it was \$ and I didn't receive it for a month or so. We have been generous with students the last year. Prior to our winter meeting we may need to evaluate where we are and project our budget for the next meeting. We have a user name and password for online banking; Ashley and Susan Pater have that information for being able to check everything. Any other discussion?

Ashley: At the last meeting I had mentioned receiving a check for \$175 from National SRM. At the time I wasn't sure what this check was for but I figured out it was from membership dues. I had deposited the check into the savings account because I wasn't sure which checking account was ours and which one belonged to NRCWAY. **I will transfer that \$175 into the checking count now that I know the difference between the two.**

4. Unfinished Business:

- **Arizona Corporation Commission filing for 2014**

Willie: Ashley, did you file this?

Ashley: Yes, It was \$10. I paid with my personal debit card.

Steve: I motion Ashley get reimbursed.

Mary: I second.

- **Summer meeting plans - develop a checklist of what is needed**

Willie: Last week Doug sent out an email with the agenda and registration for the summer meeting.

Doug: We finally got the website registration up and live. I haven't gotten a report about registration yet. We had 10 mailing in registration for the photo workshop. The speakers are lined and as well as the tour. A few of us went and scouted out areas for the tour a month ago. I think it's going to be a very informative group of speakers and the areas we get to go see are going to touch on issues we face after fire, especially for rural areas. The price of the meeting is total 92.50 with \$20 of that going to the section for cost recovery. We should

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



be able to know how many people are SRM participants. It is a bit of an experiment with this website company. It's a 3rd party vendor that the UA is working with. We will see how quickly they get money returned to us compared to Allen Press. I'm sure National SRM would prefer we work with Allen Press but it is an option. Other things; we scouted out the Lewis Canyon Campground, it will be a good place for us to meet. The drawback is it does not have a ramada. None of the other places we looked had one either, unless we were in the middle of town. We should be able to rent a tent and extra port-a-potty and hand washing station.

Ashley: So I don't have to make name tags for this meeting?

Doug: No, when we had a gap in leaders after Iric left. I had talked to Steve Campbell about this meeting, and then a few months ago in he asked if SRM would be interested in attending. Before Mary came on board it seemed like a good idea. The advantage is SRM doesn't have to put together a meeting in short term with Mary just coming on.

Chris: Is there a cost to the campground?

Willie: Yes, I reserved it for 3 nights Wednesday-Friday night. The fee was \$249. I paid that with the debit card. I estimated we would have 65 people.

Doug: I will be sending something out on a weekly basis to remind people about registration and which boxes to check on the form. There maybe people with travel trailers as well that use the area.

Kelsey: Another thing to think about is the student making breakfast; will there be some sort of grill?

Willie: The campground does have limited facilities.

Doug: There is an open area for grill to be set up.

Willie: One thing we really need to figure out is the logistics of the campground. Thursday is at the hotel and lunch is included in the registration. UA and ASU have both committed to making meals. We have those costs covered in the registration fees.

Chris: The lunches are broken out on the form.

Willie: On Thursday night we have general membership meeting and hamburger cookout. My thought is who will be responsible for providing the hamburgers?

John Kava: Is it Wednesday or Thursday?

Willie: Thursday

Mike: Usually NRCWAY does that.

Willie: I mentioned it to Susan but I need to speak more with her. My thought was it can be Kim, Susan, Jeff, and other regulars up here at the camp. We can pull together a team to host the cookout and then get help from the students. That will be a donation fundraiser.

John Kava: The first cookout was at V Bar V. That was started to raise money specifically for NRCWAY. So if UA/ASU helps are they also going to want part of the fundraiser proceeds?

Mike: We should ask if they want to do it as a fundraiser.

Steve: Or the board could do it as a fundraiser.

Mike: The campground is bare bones with no running water or electricity.

Mary: Yeah I have questions about logistics of food without facilities.

Kelsey: In Young where did the big grill come from?

Doug: It came from my church.

Chris: We have a grill at Chino too.

Willie: We have some gaps to fill; Mary I think what we should do is query our membership. First we can make a list of what we need. Then check with membership about who has what and can bring it. Also Mike and I talked briefly about contacts in that area. Rachel Williams is a contact we know. The contacts could possibly let us use equipment. We can send out an email blast and work the contacts.

Mike: I think we could find help from them

Steve: Does the registration mention SRM dinner?

Chris: No

Doug: We can provide a list of people who register as a SRM participant.

Willie: That is another gap that we have, we need a head count. We can ask people to RSVP to that hamburger cookout in order to get a headcount a head of time.

Doug: We can edit that button to mention attending SRM functions. I don't know if she can add another box that is a little different that editing the text associated with it.

Mike: We need to ask everyone to bring folding camp chairs as well.

Willie: We need to ask our members who are going to camp with us to bring a camp chair, bring water for drinking, and washing to make sure they are prepared for that.

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



Chris: There are bathroom facilities?

Doug: There were 1 or 2 port-a-potties. I think we will need twice that many. I am certainly willing to kick some of the registration funds towards a tent and getting more port-a-potties. I've got names and prices of renting those, I just don't have the money to purchase them yet.. Mary we can communicate about that at a later time.

Kelsey: Maybe we could add a vegetation options for the cookout.

Doug: If we can't add a box we can do email blasts and Facebook post to get information out there.

Willie: I want to develop a checklist for the meeting minutes. Then we can start chipping away at that. Mary I'd like to ask you to take the lead on the assembly of the campgrounds.

Mary: Can you email me the list you started and we can float it around.

Willie: We can discuss a few right now:

Generator

Large canopy tent

Port-a-potty/ hand washing station

Camp stoves/BBQ grill

Coffee makers—Kelsey: Students will bring that

Tables and chairs—Steve: we can leave that up to everyone

Kelsey: We might need a table to serve food from

John Hall: I can bring at least one or two folding tables

Mike: Will we need a *sound system* for the general meeting?

Willie: Yes, I have that on the list

Doug: I can usually get one from the extension office.

Willie: What about *fire wood*?

Mike: We can ask locals

John Hall and John Kava: Ask Andy (Habgood)

Mary: I can communicate with NRCWAY about the logistics of the meal.

Steve: If they don't want to do it we could take charge and do it as a fundraiser for the checking account. I would be willing to help with that.

Mary: Is there a plan for rain?

Mike: The tent?

Doug: A tent would be plan A or plan B we could contact the Pinedale Community Center.

Steve: Mike said something about a water trailer or truck.

Mike: I'd ask Andy

John Kava: For drinking water? I don't think they would have that

Willie: Yeah we need to ask people to bring their own water for Friday field tour. They will be covered on Thursday at the hotel.

John Hall: What about people that might stay at a hotel is there going to be an SRM rate?

Doug: Because of the logistics of meeting from the extension side its more local so the hotel wasn't anticipating they would make any money from people staying at the hotel room rate so there isn't any SRM discount at the hotel. There are other hotels close by as well.

Willie: I also wanted to bring up the pant ID contest. That was held by young professionals, is that something we would like to try and continue? We have always had some students that have taken this on Vanessa is the YPC chair person.

Mike: I think it's great.

Ashley: Have you talked to Vanessa?

Willie; No I haven't.

Mary: I will be happy to talk with her about that

Willie: I can do it.

Mike: If Vanessa can't do it we could ask Andrew Briske, he used to do it in the past.

Willie: I will contact Vanessa and/or Andrew.

John Hall: I had a question about the fees. So was it just decided that UA would take the lead for registration? What are the administration fees?

Doug: They get 9% and then so many cents per credit card fee. The budget that Steve Campbell and I put together is basically trying to just break even. It's just UAs policy that is going to provide that service.

John Hall: We had discussed using another 3rd party at the last meeting.

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



Doug: Just this particular unique situation that's how it turned out this year

Chris: At the winter meeting there won't be a joint meeting.

Willie: It costs about \$200 to use Allen Press.

Mary: \$200 is not a bad deal

Chris: For those who work for the government we have to pay through the website in order to be able to use a government credit card.

Mary: I have been thinking about the winter meeting and that is something I will follow up with more.

Doug: We have gone with Allen Press in the past because National SRM has a relationship with them.

Willie: For a point of clarification, the \$20 is what we will be getting as a section. Is that -9%?

Doug: I think that comes off the top before anyone gets proceeds.

Mary: Could I go we go back to the check box is there anything that needs to be changed.

Chris: We should make it known to check the box for camping.

Willie: Yes, let's talk about how we want to communicate that to the members.

Mary: Do we need to modify the registration website and should we draft an email or notice that goes out the list serve that clarifies the camp situation?

Chris: We could maybe mention its three nights camping.

Mary: I think we need to add "Covers the cost of up to three nights camping"

Mike: Do we need a head count for the campground?

Mary: I don't think so. Do we need to add that Thursday night hamburger dinner? If we add a check box I think we should add on the list serve for people to RSVP if they want to attend the hamburger cookout.

Kelsey: And if you want a vegetation option.

Doug: Best case scenario we would reword the SRM activities box and add a button for the hamburger fundraiser. We may not be able to add a button, so if we can't plan B we will send out an RSVP for headcount for the hamburger.

Mary: We may need to send a clarification email anyways.

Willie: If we can't get wordy with information and say RSVP to Mary

Doug: We may be able to get a weekly report about who has registered so we may be able to contact them to ask if they will attend the cookout. We can also put it on Facebook that the event is a fundraiser.

Chris: The name of the campground is also missing from the registration form.

Doug: Ok if you can annotate that page I can take it back to the office to have them change. The email probably had more information like that but the registration might be confusing.

- **IRS tax id number – application for recognition of exemption**

Willie: Kelsey and I have been working on it. It's about 85% complete. We need to fill in blanks about revenue and expenses. It's asking about the past few tax years. We should be able to put that data together quickly. It's critical we get this done ASAP. I'd like to get the boards input on how we should proceed with getting it done.

Steve: **I think it should be done in the next 2 weeks.** Anyone that writes us a check can't count it as a write off right now.

Mary: What is the issue on getting the form done?

Willie: Just competing it in terms of past tax information.

Steve: You just gave Ashley all the information so maybe she should finish it.

Ashley: Yes, I can finish it. John Hall has also offered to help.

Mary: Ashley, if you get stuck please let us know.

Ashley: ok I will

Willie: We can also have a conference call about it

John Hall: How we work on it Monday, then at 11am on Tuesday we can discuss it.

- **ACGA Summer Meeting (Rancher's committee) – July**

Willie: The topic for the Cattle Growers meeting will be T&E species. There will be: Walt Myers speaking about Sonoran Desert tortoise management plan, Cindy Coping from the NRCD speaking about jaguar listing of critical habitat and impacts on land management, Bill Dunn with Winklemann NRCD I don't recall the exact topic of his talk.

Kelsey: Does it have to do with San Pedro stuff at all?

Mike: He is speaking about coordination between land users and land administrators.

Ashley: I asked Doug if I could attend to help or attend that

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



Mike: We won't have a booth this year so there may not be help. We are just sponsoring the talks.

Willie: Will it be an opportunity to address the room about our role as SRM.

Mike: Yes I think that would be a good idea.

Willie: Does the board agree remarks should be made at the Cattle Growers meeting about SRM.

Everyone: Yes.

Willie: I will mention the summer meeting and talk about our activities and NRCWAY.

Mike: There is also an opportunity to do that at county cattle grower meetings. John Kava didn't you have a booth before?

John Kava: Yes, it is an opportunity to talk about SRM and look for sponsors for SRM and NRCWAY. It can promote us and bring kids NRCWAY.

John Hall: is there a Yuma or La Paz county Cattle Grower meetings?

Mike: I don't think so.

Willie: What if I develop talking points for the SRM hour at the cattle growers so I can run that by the board prior to going there?

Mike: I think what John (Kava) said is true we could speak about NRCWAY and get kids from ranchers to attend the camp. **The ranchers committee sponsored talk is July 18 9am.**

5. New Business:

- NRCWAY Board of Trustees (5 members) – need new trustees

Willie: We need to update the trustees with account information there is about \$50,000 the account. Susan (Pater) is a current board member. One thing we need to address is we have old signers on the account leftover from years past. I think in 2012 we voted on Mary Nichols and John Kava to be trustees but with the difficulties of getting signers added and removed it hasn't been officially taken care of. I just want to bring that to your attention.

Susan: We need for the two people that are expired, Jeff Schalau and George Ruyle, to renew if that is ok with them. We do need a statement of certification that these are our current board of trustees and we want to remove these other people who are no longer on the board and need to be removed

Steve: Who are the old names that need to be removed?

Susan: The names that need to be removed are: Bruce Munda, Larry Allen, C. Dwayne Warrick, and Donna Matthews. The people who would be added are: George Ruyle, John Kava, Mary Nichols and Jeff Schalau.

Steve: I make the motion that the section renews George and Jeff as Board of Trustees for NRCWAY trust fund, adds the new trustee's (Mary and John) and has the expired signers still listed on the account removed.

Mary: I second

Willie: Motion passes.

Mary: What is this account for?

Susan: The goal was to have this as a self-sustaining camp and slowly build up the account. We wanted to raise enough money to eventually have an endowment.

Willie: I will write a letter with the copy of the minutes to take to the bank to change the names on the account Ashley email Susan Pater as well.

- SRM 2017 Utah Section – AzSRM assistance

Willie: I spoke with Shane green, I have a handbook about the annual meeting and it outlines the basic organization of things we can discuss this at another time. There are a lot of different committees that would need help.

Chris: This is if we were to partner with the Utah Section at a national meeting? Does the Utah section need our help/want our participation?

Willie: Yes. I will get with him for more details about our involvement. This can also be something we take to the general membership once we have more details.

- Open floor

Steve: There is a group putting together a proposal for NRCS partnership with several counties involved as well as Jim Sprinkle. He wants to continue a partnership on the Tonto NF. In the past it included consulting on grazing on the Tonto NF. My question is, does the section want to be involved in partnership efforts around the state. Do you want to test the waters with Tonto?

Chris: Do they want technical advice?

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



Steve: Yes.

Mike: This might fall into the realm of education which we have thought SRM should be part of for a while. Was monitoring brought up?

Steve: Yes, monitoring is part of coordinating and planning, then consulting the projects that are approved. We would be the technical support. I'd be happy to participate and keep everyone in the loop.

Chris: It sounds like a big effort. I know they are trying to get something together so if you are willing to help out.

Willie: So you are willing to be a delegate on behalf of the section?

Steve: Yes

Willie: Could we get an email from Jim with the background on the partnership and the groups involved.

Steve: He is putting a proposal together for the national NRCS office. He needs to know before he sends that in if SRM will be one of the partners. Once he has sent that proposal in it would give us an outline as far as what they expect.

Willie: I'm thinking maybe it would be good to get something in writing.

Mary: It sounds like Jim needs an answer sooner rather than later.

Chris: It is hard to grasp what the expectations are without having something in writing.

Willie: If we could get something next week about it and then have a call the following week. I suggest we get a proposal in writing then we can evaluate it on a call 2nd week in July.

Mike: We could ask Jim when he needs an answer by.

Steve: I can get ahold of that information. There is nothing really in writing now there has only been one meeting and everyone was supposed to respond about their involvement by last week.

6. Board Reports

7. Committee Reports:

Awards Kelsey- We are still working on the awards sign for the 2013 Range Manager of the year. We have been trying to go back to previous vendor we used before; we should be getting it made soon. It's the sign that goes on the ranch gate. It's going to be a metal sign with cut out letters.

8. Schedule next meeting

A meeting mid to late July will be needed to finalize details for camping at Lewis Canyon

Steve: Motion to end the meeting

Willie: I second.

Meeting ends at 3:06pm