



**2013 Summer Membership Meeting
August 7, 2013**

Minutes by Ashley Shepherd

**Arizona Section, SRM
2012/2013 Officers**

Mike Hemovich
President

Willie Sommers
President-Elect

Iric Burden
Vice President

**Alvin Whitehair, Shai
Schendel**
Directors- North

Dan Robinett, Steve Barker
Directors-South

Ashley Shepherd
Executive Secretary

Ernie Gipson
Treasurer

Kelly Bedson
ASU Chapter President

Alanna Riggs
U of A Chapter President

Doug Tolleson
Past President

1. Welcome/Call to Order - Mike Hemovich 7:29pm

2. Approval of the January 23, 2013 minutes (Mike)

Tom Davis motion to accept
Ray Turner second the motion
All approve

3. Financial Report - Ernie Gipson

Ernie Gipson: The treasure report is available most of it is documentation. If you have any questions let me know. Winter meeting did very well. I did something different with the financials this year so we could use it for better planning. It showed a profit of just over \$8000, the overhead cost during the year were donations to students and other administration costs we had. We spent a significant amount to our youth about \$2800 to NRCWAY, \$2000 to each college (UA and ASU) for the OKC trip.

4. Unfinished Business:

a. National SRM meeting 2017/2018

Mike Hemovich: Back when Al was President the idea of bringing the meeting to AZ began to evolve. Every meeting we go to this comes up to the advisory council each year we nominate AZ. The group that goes out to look at perspective cites say Phoenix is too expensive and Tucson doesn't have the resources. We were given the opportunity to in 2017 put on the program in a different city. At the last board meeting we discussed this at length and I will let Doug give you the rundown of where that stands. I would enjoy putting on the

meeting here or also with NM section

Doug Tolleson: This has been an issue on the burner for quite a while but it has come to a head more so this year because at the national meeting this year the advisory council typically choses the meeting site for 4-5 years out. We haven't been able to locate a place. Alaska, Calgary and Minneapolis put in a bid but they have all not worked out for different reasons. At the respect of BOD they asked if I would look into it a little more, Tucson would love to have us and national folks would like to come here. We would need convention center space and there are not hotels attached to the convention center in Tucson. There are many hotels in the area but we would need busses to shuttle people between hotels and the convention center; however, we don't get far with the advisory council when we talk about doing that. For 2017 or 2018 it probably won't work out because there is no enough time to plan a meeting. With Tucson not working out that leaves Phoenix but I have heard that Phoenix is booked up around that time and they are not willing to sell rooms at lower prices during their peak season. Right now, we need to know someone that can get us a better rate in Phoenix or we are in a holding pattern to wait until Tucson is ready with the new convention center. We haven't been able to get a set date about the construction of the new convention center. So it seems like Phoenix is not interested in working with us and Tucson wants to work with us but they don't have the accommodations needed for putting on a large meeting. We also may have to hold the meeting little earlier or later due to the gem and mineral show that occurs in January. My opinion is we are still going to be in a holding pattern until facilities are built or Phoenix offers lower rates. We might not be as close as we thought we were but there has been

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



more leg work to make it happen. It puts the National SRM between a rock in a hard place because they have to schedule out these meetings a few years in advance.

Al Medina: Mike, your right about it being an old subject. Back when we were talking about it we would have been scheduled to do the meeting this year. I am still very adamant about this group putting on a meeting. What we need to do is to get national to understand its ok to have a meeting in the 1st week in February if Phoenix was willing to work with us after the busy season. What is wrong with having a spring meeting? Let's look at the venues available to us past the winter season that can give us lower rates. The influx of tourists almost stops abruptly in February/early spring. If we looked at the costs 5-6 years ago when we started to look at what was happening then the costs were 20-25 dollars less than this year's because of inflations rates today. We have to think about inflation 5-6 years in the future. We know rates will be high in Phoenix because it's a premium place to go. Why don't we ask the national membership how much they are willing to pay? Maybe they would be willing to pay more in registration if flying to Phoenix is cheap compared to the cost of flights to the upcoming meeting in Florida

Mike Hemovich: As far as the timing of the meeting. I was surprised when the advisory council suggested changing the time of the national meeting but I don't know what happened with that idea at the national level.

Doug Tolleson: University professors who coach URME and Plant ID have it planned into their academic year they were vocally against changing the meeting time. Most of the folks had an adverse reaction to doing the meeting in the summer. I have no idea what a vote of the national membership would do or the mechanism for how to ask them about changing it.

Al Medina: Send out an email asking about change in price. There will always be conflicts. Unless someone comes up and commits to doing it there will be a section that gets assigned to do it and then there is no backing out. Then you will go to Minnesota, Baltimore or wherever is chosen. Someone has to get assigned to do this, we can't go without.

Doug Tolleson: I'd rather see us look at 2018 instead of 2017 because we need to go to all of the groups that would be evolved and say "we need your backing and support on this" or else we will end up with only 2 or 3 people that end up putting it together. We need support of the people that pay our check or else we will be in a world of hurt.

Mike Hemovich: Should we stick our neck out and say we will do in 2018?

Al Medina: If we don't have facilities we shouldn't

Mike: I've only planned meetings a year in advance. How does it work with hotels? Do they account for inflation?

Doug Tolleson: They do it as a bid.

Al Medina: Once they agree to a set price it can't change 5 years from now.

Doug Tolleson: They factor that into the price structure.

Mike Hemovich: Doug, myself, and the BOD are not ready to give up. Two weeks ago I was given names of the people that are in charge of the convention center and I think we could give it one more shot.

Al Medina: There is another opportunity we have to try and see if 5-6 years from now there would be another section that would want to co-partner with us. Like the meeting with the Weed Society a few years ago, that reduces the total cost. If we were to partner with the beef folks that would give us some leverage because now you are brining money to that venue and they will drop the rates for you. We need to see who else we can partner with us.

Mike Hemovich: National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA)

Doug Tolleson: NCBA is at the same time as SRM. Animal Science is interested in doing joint meetings with us but their meetings are in the summer. We have actually talked about swapping joint symposia at each meeting instead of doing joint meetings to get each other's involved.

Mike Hemovich: We wanted to give you an update and that's what we know so far .



5. New Business

a. U of A student intern program

Mike Hemovich: I was at workshop with Mitch McClaran and I asked him if he would be available to help set up do some kind of an internship with students and ranchers. So that if students wanted to they would come out and work on a ranch get credit for it. Dean Burgess at the UA and AZ Cattle Growers has also come up with funding for with UA. Can all of you think how SRM can help with this. I would like to see something like that happen. Getting mentors that are ranchers I think it will provide a good opportunity for students.

Terry Wheeler: Mike that is something we have needed for a long time getting it done is a big thing. We have a lot of stuff to teach these kids.

Ernie Gipson: Our SCEP student spent a month.

Willie Sommers: Kristen Egen also brought up the same thing about working on a ranch. I think it's a good idea. For me I didn't come from a ranch family I've only spent bits and pieces of time on one. I think getting to know the inner workings of a ranch is a good idea to be able to better talk their language.

Sarah Noelle: I went to Oregon State and I did the same thing as an undergrad and I spent a summer spent hosted by two different ranch families. It was the most valuable experience for me as a potential range professional. I grew up on a small farm but it's an internship for those students that didn't have that experience it was perfect to get an idea what ranchers do day in and day out. I think it's something we should push

Mike Hemovich: I'm going to have a student come out and work with me on an EQUIP project. A student from South Africa who was working at the V Bar V gave me the idea because it wasn't an option at her school, she had to do an internship with her school and she said she really enjoyed it. I encourage you to come out a day or two and work with them.

b. Digital media for the AZ Section SRM

Mike Hemovich: Ashley Shepherd has set up a Facebook and Twitter account for the section. If you want information to be on the page you can pass it on to her through email at AshleyS3@email.arizona.edu and she will post it.

c. ACGA Summer Meeting and SRM Ranchers Committee

Mike Hemovich: At Cattle Growers meeting the Ranchers Committee hosted a discussion. It was a good session; it ended up being standing room only.

Al Medina: All the presentations were centered on TES species. We had 4 speakers. The discussion went very well because they were all tied together in the sense of the manager can do to help make progress on managing TES species. I think you guys did a good job.

Terry Wheeler: I really appreciate Al he was the moderator for the session. Having Ralph Pope there was good too; he had worked with willow flycatcher in grazed areas before he retired. All the research data they came up with showed the populations were twice as much as the non-grazed areas. Educating people in the future is important.

Al Medina: one of the key points of all those discussions centers on an uncomfortable feeling that perhaps managers deal with. Dave Stewart asked me to talk about how the science can be biased to politics that leaves a manager in a hard place. The number of data points can't be in the teens it has to be in the 1000 - 100000 to understand the dynamics of what the systems are telling you. There is a lot of variability. Those are some take home messages from those sessions.

d. Winter Meeting topics

Willie Sommers: Steve mentioned getting input from members for the winter meeting so I would like input about what topics you all would like to hear about. This is our opportunity to talk about it. I was thinking about doing what Mike has done at previous meetings by not having just one topic. Have something for everyone

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



with multiple sections, for example: wild horse and burro, native range and monitoring. There are also several members who have retired and gone to private consulting. I think it would be good to have them speak about what projects they are working on or maybe things they didn't get to do as an agency person. We even have members getting close to retirement and maybe they could speak on what they are doing afterwards. So maybe have a session on range consulting. Another idea is I have gotten 5- 6 letters about new species proposed for protected habitat, so a session on T&E species/critical habitat. That's what I have so far any other topics people would like to hear about

Linda Kennedy: I would like to learn more about Facebook and Twitter; I would like a 15 min to learn what it's all about and how to use it. For those of us with lap tops if there is Wi-Fi then someone like Ashley could show us the sites.

Willie Sommers: Claire Hydock with the FS in Williams had suggested a session about how to register and apply for a job on USAJobs.com. She had asked us to actually do that. So that is possibility another.

Al Medina: As part of the Native Range Committee we would like to still bring to the table some of the wild horse topics. In this particular case we would like to get some of the national expert's from the Academy of Science report for BLM to see how they reached their conclusions. We would also like to work with getting some of the other tribes to speak. Navajo Nation passed legislation about dealing with excess animals and that's a pretty big deal. The more info we put out to help and enable the tribes the better off we will all be.

Willie Sommers: What I like about that is we are continuing something we started instead of just leapfrogging on topics. It will be a good follow up.

Al Medina: We would want to promote difference of opinions. We could have a good discussion from different agencies.

Terry Wheeler: Going back to the 60's there were ordinances on gathering horses maybe some of the Grazing Committee could come and talk about their experiences trying to get rid of those animals which can be a nuisances.

Al Medina: To me it's a landmark effort on their part. What they are proposing to do is very consistent with SRM and other societies about how to deal with wild horses and I expect other to follow suit.

John Hall: I was supposed to talk at the winter meeting session but because of the politics behind the issue I was asked not to by BLM. Maybe SRM could have someone that is above me come and speak on behalf of the BLM. I want to talk and give my perspective because I deal with these animals on the ground on a daily basis but it just wasn't possible at the last meeting. Hopefully it will happen in the future.

Mike Hemovich: We will follow up on that al but I'm thankful for the work you and Alvin did to have that talk at the last winter meeting.

e. Fall Field Tour

Mike Hemovich: Willie has taken it upon himself to schedule a fall day program and make it accessible as possible to students and get young professionals involved.

Willie Sommers: As President-Elect I also get the honor of being activities chair and so I came up with the idea of a Saturday field tour of a ranch. It will be Willow Springs Ranch just north of Oracle Junction. It's conveniently located between ASU and UA. So I will talk with Alanna Riggs about a day that will work for students. I've talked to the ranch owner and Katie Cline from NRCS, Kelsey Hawkes and I will be there as well. It will be hands on/field time which will be good for students. The NRCS has been working on inventorying the whole ranch it is so big it was broken down into 2 range cons. We will talk about identifying ESDs on the ranch and also about the wildlife component on this ranch. There are a lot of wildlife water catchments on this ranch. Some capture rainfall and others capture runoff from side channels. Ben also has a camera of footage of different animals using these waters. It shows the amount of life there in the desert. From the AZ State Land Department Kelsey and I will talk about recreation because on any given day there are more people out there than cows on this ranch. I know the Land Department is struggling with how to deal with that aspect so we will talk about recreation travel management planning. It will be a Saturday in October

Arizona Section Society for Range Management



or November. This is for the student to come out on a ranch to ask any questions and think about your own career. More information will follow.

Mike Hemovich: Alanna did a survey for us and students would really appreciate a way to get more experience with skill building. I guess all we need to do is schedule it.

Terry Wheeler: Do you have format of how the day would be structured and what you want us to talk to people about?

Iric Burden: We could come up with 3 places over the next year or however many you want to do and go from there.

Mike: Alanna we need to know what students they want to learn about.

Alanna Riggs: Once the semester starts I will ask the students.

John Hall: I've had community college students stop by to talk with me and they have helped with burro vegetation monitoring. I informed my agency it was easy to schedule

Mike Hemovich: We have had at least 4 BOD meeting and we have only been together once it's easy to do a teleconference so this will be easy to schedule more day field trips like this just let us know what the students are interested in.

John Hall: Management loves positive PR so bringing in students to help is a good thing.

f. Other – Upcoming Wildlife Society Meeting

Mike Hemovich: The Wildlife Society has an upcoming meeting and when I read symposium agenda I was concerned it seemed biased and non-scientific. Yesterday I received a letter from Steve Spangle at USFW that was about the meeting agenda and then I received a response from the president of the society. The drafter and supporters of the letter will be here tomorrow maybe we can talk with them. Steve Spangle got on to them about lack of science and the lack of presence of range professionals.

Willie Sommers: In their summer newsletter they are having wildlife first a professional symposium to promote wildlife and rangeland issues. They have three objectives, but basically it says chapter is trying to educate professionals and lay people about grazing and wildlife.

Terry Wheeler: Who is it?

Willie Sommers: It's the Arizona Section of the Wildlife Society. Steve (Spangle) said they are talking about rangelands but aren't including the SRM. It's an interesting development in terms of their interests.

Steve Barker: Western Watersheds is also involved.

Al Medina: It's really underwritten by Western Watersheds; their staff are the principle speakers at the sessions I think I counted 9 non-academic speakers. About 24 years ago the Wildlife Society and Western Watersheds took over and got into negative campaign about rangeland issues with the general public. In Idaho the public became very interested in what was going on and this is how I can interpret what is happening here. This is an old old serious battle that range and wildlife folks have fought for a long time. I think the best way to settle the score it to respect each other for them to sell themselves to an activist group, to me I can't reconcile that in my mind. One of the ways we can come up from this is to reach out to the hosts of managers that can see beyond the stupidity of what they are trying to do here and enlist them as members. There is strength in numbers and lets subscribe to much higher standards.

Name Unknown: Out of most of the people I work with are there are only maybe 2 individuals that have sided with Western Watersheds. Within my agency they aren't happy with this approach. We should let them know we feel uncomfortable and explain why but don't hold it against all wildlife biologists.

Steve Barker: Yeah we have biologist on our side, like Steve (Spangle), we need to involve them in our counter efforts.

Mike Hemovich: Thanks for your comments.

Al Medina: If anything Mike, maybe we could pass on the letter to the membership so that once they read it they will reach their own conclusions but I agree take a cautionary note not to get too involved.

Mike Hemovich: I will make the newsletter and the two other letters available to everyone.

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



6. Board Reports

President – Mike Hemovich (nothing further to report)

President-Elect – Willie Sommers (nothing further to report)

Vice President – Iric Burden: The next meetings will be in Flagstaff and Flagstaff. The intent was to do a joint meeting with the wildlife society but that has changed a little bit. I would like the meeting to be put on by young professionals they will be speaking. Vanessa is our new young professional committee chair will help organize it. They will lead the talks; however, they don't have to know everything about the topic, the long in the tooth people can come in and fill in the blanks. If anyone has objections that's where we are planning to go with the upcoming meetings.

Past President/Nominations--Doug Tolleson: Does everyone like these workshops we have had at the last meetings? Should we keep doing them we will start to take a poll of FB for topics and ideas and plan to do another workshop prior to the winter meeting (many people said yes).

Directors North--Alivin Whitehair and Shai Schendel:

Directors South --

- **Steve Barker:** I am probably going to be involved with ARS in Tucson working with the rangeland erosion model. I will try and get that model implemented within the NRCS within the next year we need field level folks to take a good look at it so if you want to give input please contact me. The NRCS has also been working with BLM and FS to put together one hand book on how EDS are written, that handbook has been released and is available online. It's one standard of ESDs. I think the section can have a role in getting this info out. I'm hearing rumors there will be an ESD group established somewhere. There is a lot of stuff happening with ESDs, so we need to keep our ears to the ground about what is going on.
- **Dan Robinett:** I don't have anything to report

UA Student Chapter President -- Alanna Riggs: We are sending an URME team to Florida, but I haven't figured out how many kids or how we will get there. We brought t-shirts to sell and are cooking breakfast tomorrow.

ASU Student Chapter President – Kelly Bedson

7. Committee Reports

Awards – Jamie Wages

Membership – Shai Schendel Iric Burden: Shai could not make it tonight but she wanted me to say that she looked into the membership number and we are at 176 as of today. In 2009 we had 200 members so we have slipped a little bit.

Historian/Archives – Willie Sommers

Youth/NRCWAY – Kim McReynolds/Susan Pater

Newsletter – John Kava: Thanks to contributors we are looking forward to new articles.

Activities – Willie Sommer

Young Professionals – Vanessa Prileson: I got here late but I'm going to try and organize the plant ID contest. There will be a young professional's get together tomorrow afternoon.

Scholarship – Mitch McClaran

Rancher's Committee – Terry Wheeler

Native Range Committee—Alvin Whitehair: I've been thinking about our committee standing and I've had a lot of highs and lows. I've seen participation go up and go back down, like today there were 4 people that showed up. It gives the opportunity to think about what might have been done wrong. The native folks that have showed up are primarily the same faces at every meeting. I guess that I'm leading up to is come December I will let someone new come in with new ideas. I've done my best and it's not working out for me. All I can say at this time is thanks for helping me with trying to increase the participation. Hopefully we benefitted in some ways.

Arizona Section
Society for Range Management



Mike Hemovich: Thanks Alvin like I said we enjoyed the inter meeting thanks for all you have done for us
Alvin Whitehair: I have been talking with Al Medina, I put it on Facebook and many tribal members told me not to quit they have even agreed to bring tribal members up here for the winter meeting. I had a change of heart and Al gave me a pep talk. I will hang on but I need help getting tribal members up especially in the colleges.

Public Relations, Recreation and Outreach – James Holden

Mike Hemovich: Thank you to all of the BOD members

Meeting adjourned at 9:18pm