

Arizona Section  
Society for Range Management



**2014 General Membership Summer Meeting**  
**August 14, 2015**  
**7:00 p.m.**  
**Lewis Canyon Campground, Show Low, AZ**

Minutes by Ashley Shepherd

**Arizona Section, SRM**  
**2013/14 Officers**

**Willie Sommers**  
*President*

**Mary Nichols**  
*President-Elect*

**Chris Thiel**  
*Vice President*

**Kelsey Hawkes, Shai Schendel**  
*Directors- North*

**John Hall, Steve Barker**  
*Directors-South*

**Ashley Shepherd**  
*Executive Secretary/Treasurer*

**Matt Kilford**  
*ASU Chapter President*

**Emily Pecilunias**  
*U of A Chapter President*

**Mike Hemovich**  
*Past President*

**1. Welcome/Call to Order (Willie)**

- 7:15 Meeting Called to Order

**2. Approval of the Winter Meeting Minutes (Willie)**

- Jeff Schalau will accept a motion to accept
- Steve Barker move to accept
- All Approve

**3. Financial Report (Ernie Gipson)**

Willie Sommers: Since January Ernie took a job in Oregon I've been working on the files. In June at NRCWAY I gave the files to Ashley so she will be secretary and treasurer going forward.

Ashley: I transferred \$500 into the NRCWAY account from our checking account on Tuesday.

Willie: On the 1st page there is a summary of NRCWAY bank account. I wanted to let you know that this year we received 11,500 in donations for NRCWAY. They came from individuals, organizations, and NRCDs in Arizona. An individual gave us a \$5,000 donation. I sent him a letter thanking him for the donating.

Del: How many kids were at camp this year?

Andrew and Susan: 25

Willie: We can hold up to 35 but we were a little short this year. It was a great group of kids this year. I was up there for the whole week. The 2<sup>nd</sup> page of the hand out, I put together our income and expenses for the section. We are in the red by \$400 for 2013. This year there are still some things to be settled out. In the past we only gave \$1000 to the student sections. This year we gave more; UA \$2,400 and ASU\$1,500 because they had more students going to the national meeting. That was one of our major expenses.

Ashley Shepherd: Going forward I'm going to keep with the same format.

Jim Sprinkle: What is the goal? To break even or gain a little money?

Willie: I think it's up to the board and members. In the past it was just trying to break even. I think we want to have a surplus and grow our funds. if we look at our sources of income it's basically membership dues. Our winter and summer meetings we usually make money off both of those meetings and then auctions in the winter. Those are our main 4 sources of income.

Jim: In past years we have had specialized tours with an extra fee. Al Medina did a few.

Willie: Yes, we had a raffle in the past as well. That has been on my mind a bit. We can figure out what we can do for other funding sources.

Jeff Schalau: The \$5,000 we are down currently is because of this meeting correct. We haven't entered in the info for this meeting?

Doug Tolleson: Because of tag teaming the meeting this summer, our expenses are going to be different than in the past. We had a special situation this year with the meeting.

# Arizona Section Society for Range Management

---



Willie: The winter meeting we had in Tucson didn't produce a profit whereas last year's winter meeting did produce a profit. That is something to be more mindful of. Usually our winter meetings bring in more. At the summer meeting we typically break even.

## **4. Tax Exempt ID number**

Willie: As I took over the treasurer duties it was brought to my attention that we didn't file an annual report for 3 years to keep up our tax exempt status. Our tax exempt status was revoked by the IRS. We have been working on filling out the application to get it reinstated. It requires a comprehensive review of our finances for the last 4 years. It has been an involved process. What I got didn't have all the information. Ashley has that and John Hall has been helping. We are going to finalize it and send it in.

Ashley: Willie gave me the treasurer files at the BOD meeting at the NRCWAY camp in June. The files are not in very good order so it has been a struggle piecing the information together. Since June I have been trying my best to pieve the information together in order to complete the IRS application. There are a few years missing that I am still looking for but I hope to have it complete by September.

Willie I think this happened because the IRS was sending stuff to a PO Box at the UA and it wasn't making it to the section. So the information might not have made it to the officers. Any questions?

## **5. NRCWAY Trust Account**

Willie: We have a NRCWAY trust account. We had to establish new trustees and at NRCWAY we went ahead and did that. John Kava and Mary Nichols are new additions to the account. There is a fund that has been set aside its \$50,000 it was set aside years ago to generate interest and support the camp as needed. In years past we have pulled from that account when we didn't have donations. The other 3 people on the account are Susan Pater, Jeff Schalau, and George Rulye.

## **6. Nation SRM Meeting 2017**

Willie: The 2017 meeting is going to be held in St. George, Utah. I have been in discussion with the president of the Utah section Shane Green and he said they are still forming the committee. I did let them know there might be interest to have the Arizona section help. I will follow up with him to see how the formation of the committees is going. We will be talking about it more over the next year as they get more involved with planning of the meeting. My thought is there could be some excellent field tours on the Arizona Strip. I will keep the membership updated on the progress and see if anyone wants to help. Did anyone here help at the 1995 meeting?

Mike Hemovich: For the meeting if we participate would be a financial gain for us? Can we look at it from that aspect too?

Willie: It is my understanding that the sections that put on a meeting get quite a bit of financial gain. But I am not sure how much

Mike: I think it depends on accommodations and attendance. One of the big issues is decline in attendance because of lack of travel funds for government agencies.

Susan Pater: How much does national SRM take?

Mike: I'm not sure but a good amount does go back to the state section that is hosting.

Willie: Ok I will contact them and then follow up with the board and trickle that down to the section.

## **7. Fall Tour**

Willie: Last year we had a fall tour at Willow Springs then in the spring Steve Barker did one at Circle U Ranch. Is there any input having a fall tour in October? I like the idea of getting together more than just the winter and summer meeting. We have talked a bit having a Director North or South take this on. Or it could be handled by the board a whole. I wanted to open it up for discussion.

Mike: I am in favor of it. The goal was to have a meeting that wasn't costly. I think it's good to focus on making it an educational day. We also want to focus on our students as much as possible. The Willow Springs field trip was close to UA and Steve's was close to ASU.

Steve Barker: We need to know what kind of things a group would want to hear about. We really need to know there is a topic people are interested and we will put it on. Feedback would be helpful for organizers.

# Arizona Section Society for Range Management

---



Emily Peculuanias: We were interested in going, the UA we had 4-5 members attend last time. As for what topics we are open. Our members would want to go no matter what.

Kelsey Hawkes: I can talk to Shai and see if we can do something up north. But that might have to be more of the spring.

Willie: John is our Director South in Yuma. Maybe we could have something in the spring in Yuma?

Jeff Schalaus: I was going to throw out the first Friday in May at the \_\_\_\_\_ranch there interesting issues there. I'm not sure if people would want to come that far out in the woods but the rancher would be supportive.

Mike: What day of the week do we want these? We could do somewhere people can camp to keep costs down.

Emily: Friday or Saturday works for UA.

John Hall: I have plenty of places to camp in the winter.

Willie: I talked to John about February or March.

Kelsey: Is there anyone from ASU chapter here? *ASU was absent from the meeting* I will talk with them when they get here to see what the ASU students would want to do.

Jim: Matt Killford was at the meeting today

Kelsey: I will touch based with him tomorrow and get back with the board.

Mitch:: For students at UA the spring semester has classes which have field trips associated with them. So January to April can be challenging. Finals are 1-2nd week of May. The fall semester has less field trips, that would be a better time for student to attend.

## 8. Winter Meetings

Willie: Mary Nichols is our President-Elect. She is going to talk about winter 2015 meeting.

Mary: I put together a draft of some topics I thought would be a good idea; climate change, drought and impacts. We tend to hear about it in the big picture but I thought we could talk about it more locally for AZ. I would like to include different perspectives: ranchers, agency, and scientists. If that hits people wrong and there are other ideas I am open, feel free to send me an email.

Willie: Any thoughts on that topic or alternate ideas?

John Kava: I think it sounds good

Steve: I think it's a good idea. It would be good to get info from people who have 30 years of data.

Mary: A lot of these changes are more regional I wonder if there was any interest in doing a joint meeting with NM. I know a lot of researchers there.

Jim: I think we do have a lot of commonalities.

Doug: I think the current NM President would be interested as well as the members of their section.

Mary: I will let everyone thin about it then send me an email if there are any problems with this topic.

## 9. Board Reports

*President* -- Willie: Thank you all for coming to this meeting. I want to thank Doug for recognizing the opportunity for this 2 day workshop. I want to thank Kelsey for putting together plant ID contest. It's our 4th year in a row having one it's a good tradition to keep going.

*UA Student Chapter President*—Emily: We have koozies for sale \$5 as a fundraiser to get to the national meeting in Sacramento. We are excited about the fall tour. So if anyone wants to invite us out we would appreciate it.

*Past President*—Mike: My function for the next couple of months will be nominations we need to fill 3 positions on the board. You come in as Vice President and work your way up through the ranks. We need new Directors for both north and south. If you are interested or want to send a name in we can get them in the running.

## 10. Committee Reports

*Awards*-- Kelsey: Jamie is the committee chair. 2014 rancher of year nominations are still being accepted. The deadline is Aug. 1. The 2013 award is still being made it was awarded to Charlie and Mary Miller of the Elkhorn Ranch. Is it a time to talk about the cost of the sign it hasn't been officially purchased yet. In the past the sign was made by a vendor whose machines are broken. The best quote I got was for \$101 from a different company.

Willie: I want to put this up for a vote and get it taken care of.

Steve: I approve

Chris Theil: I second.

Arizona Section  
Society for Range Management

---



Willie: Motion carries. And you said Aug. 1<sup>st</sup> was the deadline? Can you make it an action item to send out this information on the list serve?

*Newsletter*-- John Kava: There was an article in the last newsletter had info about the awards. If you receive snail mail newsletter but have an email please give it to me so I can reduce postage costs. Thanks to all those who contribute. If you want to write an article about something you feel strongly about please send it in I will include it. Willie, I gave you some receipts but I haven't gotten a check yet. Can I get reimbursed?

Ashley: I will get the total from you Willie and send John and check.

*Scholarship*-- Mitch: Eddie and I will be sending in the selected recipients. We appreciate your continued support.

*Rancher Affairs*-- Willie: Terry Wheeler is the head of this chair. He hosted a session at the AZ Cattle Growers meeting.

*Youth/NRCWAY*-- Kim: Because the annual meeting will be in Sacramento this year hopefully it will be less expensive to send students. So the staff selected 3 students from camp to participate in the High School Youth Forum. I think 3 is the most we can send as a section.

Susan: We always need help recruiting kids.

Willie: The topic this past summer at camp was forestry and range management. The kids learned about tree core samples and collecting data in the field.

Willie: Thanks every one for attending. Do I have a motion to adjourn.

John Kava: I move we adjourn.

John Hall: I second

Meeting adjourned at 8:29